The US took responsibility Sunday for a loud explosion in the Afghan capital Kabul near the airport, saying it was an airstrike at the terror group behind last week's attack that killed and injured hundreds.
The US Central Command said the blast was an “over-the-horizon airstrike to hit a vehicle” which posed an “imminent” threat to Hamid Karzai International Airport from ISIS-K, the Deash/ISIS terror affiliate behind last Thursday’s attack which killed some 170 people, including 13 US soldiers.
“We are confident we successfully hit the target. Significant secondary explosions from the vehicle indicated the presence of a substantial amount of explosive material,” said Capt. Bill Urban, spokesman for US Central Command.
“We are assessing the possibilities of civilian casualties, though we have no indications at this time. We remain vigilant for potential future threats,” he added.
According to local Ariana News, six people, including four children, were killed and four others wounded in Sunday's US strike.
US President Joe Biden had warned an attack around the airport was “very likely,” as the clock is ticking for the full withdrawal of US forces by the Tuesday deadline set by the Taliban, which took control of Kabul on Aug. 15./aa