Date: 13 Rabbi al-Thanni 1442   Saturday 28 November 2020

  • Last Update: Saturday 28 November 2020، 12:18:27.

Featured
Egypt walks back rejection of Italy request over slain student

19:42 12 April 2016 Author :  
Egypt's Deputy Public Prosecutor Mustafa Suleiman, who headed an Egyptian delegation that was in Rome last week, as he prepares to speak during a press conference on slain Italian graduate student Giulio Regeni, April 9, 2016. (AP Photo/Amr Nabil)

CAIRO (AP) — Egypt has softened its rejection of Italy's request to hand over phone records of mobile subscribers in a Cairo district where an Italian doctoral student lived before he was abducted, tortured and killed.

Foreign Minister Sameh Shukri told reporters in Cairo on Tuesday that Egypt will examine the records and convey any findings to the Italians.

Last week, a senior prosecutor said Egypt had rejected the Italian request because it violates the law and the constitution. Shukri repeated the same reasons for rejecting Italy's request and did not explain exactly how Egypt would share findings with Rome.

Giulio Regeni went missing on Jan. 25, the anniversary of Egypt's 2011 uprising. Police were out in force that day to prevent protests, fueling speculation they were behind his abduction and death.

Read 830

Related News:

Weather

Partly Cloudy

15°C

Kuwait

Partly Cloudy

Humidity: 75%

Wind: 30.58 km/h

  • 04 Jan 2019

    Sunny 18°C 12°C

  • 05 Jan 2019

    Mostly Sunny 17°C 11°C

  • Most Popular
  • Most Commented
Top